How To Add and Manage Subdomain(s) In cPanel
In cPanel, the subdomain feature allows you to create and manage subdomains for your cPanel account. A subdomain is a subsection of your website that exists as a subdirectory in your public_html (Document Root) directory. Subdomains use a prefix in conjunction with the domain name. For example, if the registered domain name is example.com, the subdomain will be prefix.example.com. You can use subdomains to create unique user accounts for “vanity domains.” This is helpful if, for example, you have a blog, or any other type of website that uses a domain specifically titled for a user.
Please do remember it takes time for the subdomain to become recognized by other computers on the web. Visitors will not be able to view your subdomain immediately; the process takes anywhere from two days to a week.
How To Create A Subdomain
To create a subdomain, perform the following steps:
- Enter the desired prefix in the Subdomain text box.
- Select the desired main domain from the menu.
- Enter the home directory for the subdomain in the Document Root text box.
- This directory contains the files that pertain to the subdomain.
- Click Create.
- Warning: Due to the order in which Apache processes its configuration file, wildcard subdomains may disrupt the functionality of proxy subdomains. We strongly recommend that you use wildcard subdomains only when absolutely necessary, or when you do not need to use proxy subdomains.
- To open the subdomain’s main directory with the File Manager, click the link under Document Root that corresponds to the subdomain that you want to view in the File Manager.
How To Search A Subdomain
To search through existing domains, perform the following steps:
- Enter the search criteria into the Search text box.
- Click Go.Results that match your search criteria populates the list.
How To Modify A Subdomain
To modify the document root for a subdomain, perform the following steps:
- Click the notepad icon that corresponds to the subdomain that you want to manage.
- Enter the new file path that you want to use as the document root in the available text text box.
- Click Change.
Search Addon Domains
To search the list of addon domains, perform the following steps:
- Enter the search criteria into the Search box.
- Click Go.
How To Enable or Disable Subdomain Redirection
To enable or disable redirection of a subdomain, perform the following steps:
- Click the Manage Redirection link that corresponds to the subdomain that you wish to manage.
- If you wish to redirect the subdomain, enter the link to which you want to redirect the subdomain in the available text text box.
- Click Save.
- To disable the redirect, click Disable Redirection.
How To Remove A Subdomain
To remove an existing subdomain, perform the following steps:
- Click the Remove link that corresponds to the subdomain that you want to remove.
- Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the subdomain.
- To keep the subdomain, click No.
Was this answer helpful?
The cPanel interface is the hub of your cPanel user account and provides you with access to...
Here is how to imp@ort a MySQL database using SSH. It is always better to import/export large...
Browser is one of the softwares running on your computer. It lets you visit webpages and use web...
The cPanel Directory Privacy allows you to protect certain directories of your account. If you...
This short tutorial will show you how to import a MySQL database using phpMyAdmin. Log into...